A Look Back on Berlin

Monday, July 25, 2016

I was organizing my massive photo collection since I was uploading over 200 photos on my recent visit to San Diego and became nostalgic when I stumbled upon my Berlin pictures from 2009.

I have fond memories of Germany and couldn't believe it's been close to 7 years since I last visited. It was a Glasgow Girls reunion and I met up with three women from Finland, Germany and Spain, all of whom I met when I completed my exchange program at the University of Glasgow in the spring semester of 2003.

Bahnhof Potsdamer Platz
Slide off Bahnhof Potsdamer Platz
Anna and Leena flew in on Ryanair while Marija took the train in from Frankfurt - main Friday evening. On Saturday, we spent the day touring Berlin and since we didn't have a lot of time, we bought tickets for a tour bus.

Regierungsviertel
Marie - Elisabeth - Lüeders Haus

Me at Marie - Elisabeth - Lüders Haus
I was really impressed by the Marie - Elisabeth - Lüders Haus, which along with Federal Chancellory and Paul-Löbe House, forms "Federal Row."  After conducting research online, I found the architect is Stephan Brunfels of Munich and a memorial to the Berlin wall below the library is accessible to the public.

I am pretty sure I would need at least a week in Berlin to go through the museums, art galleries and neighborhoods.


Berlin Wall
Remnants of the Berlin Wall
Remnants of Berlin's past still dot the city such as parts of the Berlin Wall.  However, when the sun was setting, and as I looked up towards the Bradenburg Gate, it was stunning to see this magnificent structure and what it has endured over the centuries.  After further research, I didn't realize that the Berlin Monument Conservation Foundation restored it from 2000 to 2002.



Bradenburg gate
Brandenburg Gate

After the bus tour, we toured the Brandenburg Gate parliament area and bought some glühwein on the recommendation of my friend Marija, who explained it's a traditional German drink in the wintertime.  We also snacked on some currywurst and brezels since we still had a few hours before dinner.  

I noticed how inexpensive Berlin was but overall Germany was relatively affordable compared to the dollar at that time. There was so much to see and so little time but all I know was I ate well and the Austrian bartender created this drink on our last night of the reunion.


German flag shots courtesy of our Austrian bartender




You Might Also Like

0 comments

2014 - 2016 JoieDeVivreNYC All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.