Mile End Poutine Week 2014 & A Walk Around The Highline

Sunday, July 20, 2014



It was Poutine Week at Mile End this week and May – Mei and I set a date for Friday night at 6pm to meet up in NOHO.  I didn’t know they opened up shop since I only heard about the Mile End place in Brooklyn which I went to a few years back.
We were going to order two different plates of poutine but after speaking with our waitress that one plate can serve two people, May – Mei recommended we order the roasted sunchoke salad and the foie gras poutine instead.  We also had some beers to go with our meal with May - Mei opting for a summer ale but I wanted to stay with the Montreal theme and ordered a St. Ambrose Oatmeal stout.
Roasted sunchoke salad
Foie gras poutine
No meal is completed without dessert so we walked around and ended up at Fresco Gelateria on 2nd Ave. between St. Mark's Place and 9th Street where we sampled some gelato before I opted for salted caramel and ferraro and May - Mei picked rosewater.
Highline
Highline views

I asked her what her plans were for her 30th birthday since she was saving up her points to get an international ticket anywhere.  I said I'd join her if she was interested in company and we talked about our price ranges.  I told her I remember that Iceland is relatively cheap around September / October since I've seen airline / hotel/ excursion bundles for around $700 for 5 days / 4 nights.  I also said that an Oslo ticket was relatively cheap it would be expensive for going out and accommodation unless she was ok with Couchsurfing or AirBnB and eating in all the time.

We threw around some more options like Czech Republic, France and Spain.  The evening was still early so I asked if she wanted to walk around the Highline since I haven't been there in awhile.

No matter where you go in New York City, you always have some spectacular views.  I understand why so many people are enchanted by the Highline and I admire the urban designers who had the vision to utilize to use the old space.

May - Mei observed more foliage was planted and I said that's actually a good idea considering there's so much concrete and steel buildings around.  The trees that curved over and provided a canopy can provide much needed respite from the heat and provide much cooler air when the next heat wave hits.

We found a grassy spot where a few other tourists and locals milled about and sat in silence for a bit.  We watched the sun set and buildings slowly light up to illuminate the sky.  I loved the way the lights reflected off the buildings and gave the Highline the subtle glow.  It's definitely a nice, romantic walk and we definitely saw so couples walking around. What are your favorite walks or views around the city?



You Might Also Like

0 comments

2014 - 2016 JoieDeVivreNYC All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.