The Open Road is Beckoning

Friday, June 27, 2014

Bayon Temple
Bayon Temple

The open is road is beckoning and I feel a strangeness within myself that has been beating in my heart for so long.  I've dreamed of far away places for years and now I finally arrived in Siem Reap.

We spent two days wandering the Ankgor Archaeological Park specifically Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon Temple, Ta Prohm, and Banteay Srei in the searing heat, examining  intricate carvings and clambering up steep staircases.

The ruins were as old as some of the European churches that I've visited which impressed me.   The locals hawked $1 postcards and coconut drinks and you bartered with them when purchasing scarves and the light Cambodian pants that almost every tourist wore to beat the heat.

The temples were beautiful and surprisingly not so crowded especially Banteay Srei where it felt like you had the whole temple to yourself.  It made you wonder what the kingdom was like in the 10th century and if they knew of the other world across the ocean.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

2014 - 2016 JoieDeVivreNYC All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.